On the other hand, people say you need to relax, you're just starting out, you'll figure it out, don't stress, you'll change your major 5 times anyway. These are the same people who criticize that high schoolers are too pressured at too early of an age to decide their major/their career.
But do you know what? I think it's really unfair to college students to spring such a huge decision on them out of nowhere! We ought to be educated and investigating, shadowing, exploring careers- not just taking some silly aptitude test that tells you you'd rather not work at a desk job and you work well with people. No duh. At the same time, who knows if I would have come to the same conclusions then as I have now or will in the future.
But still, if there's one thing I've learned in college, it's that you don't magically grow up and figure things out when you graduate high school. I also really envy those people who have set career and professional tracks- nursing, elementary education, engineering. Your classes are lined up for you. When you graduate, you know what you want to be, and what kind of a job you'll look for. Oh, the curse of the social sciences. Oh, the curse of the liberal arts. I wish I could be like my sister Emma, who's decided it's her dream to be a dentist. She is literally Hermie from Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. Except not a femmy elf with a nasally voice. But otherwise.
So basically, I'm trying to decide the following: Do I switch from IR to Econ for my major? Dependent on that, do I take French 102 and/or Econ 382 next semester? (something's gotta give, because as it is, I'm looking at 18 credit hours. And no "fun" classes. Not going to work.) Do I take more calculus? Do I take it this summer? Do I still plan on India study abroad for Fall 2011? Where else can I go? Should I go to Haiti this summer? Will my mom ever let me go to Haiti? Do I go even if she doesn't? Where should I intern? What do I want to do on an internship? What should I do for grad school? How does economics (a cool social science, with cool research...but being an official economist sounds kinda dreary) apply to what I want to do? What do I want to do in a career? Do I have any skills at all? Will I be able to get a job doing what I want? Will I be able to raise a family doing what I want? Is my whole passion for development completely idealistic and futile?
*deep breath*
Om, shanti, shanti.
I'm glad at times like these I have things like the Hare Krishnas (yay for stress-relieving chants) and the Hunger Banquet and SID and awesome people who are out there living the dream. It is possible. I just hope I can figure out how it's possible for me.
Preferably before Fall registration in a few weeks.
Sigh.

ah, maddy. i definitely understand the feeling. but, take it from a girl whose life plan was rudely interrupted (in a big way)-- it will all be okay. everything will work itself out in the end... it's just these crazy times of confusion that can be a little bit freaky. but if you do switch to econ, you and willy will be taking mostly the same classes! you could have a built in study buddy!
It's possible to do all those things. However I don't think your mom will let you go to Haiti, sorry about that. Heck, I won't let you go. Anyway, I guess I'm one of those people that says, to calm down, you have PLENTY of time to figure all that out. And what I've learned so far in life, is to just make tentative plans, cause you never know what the Lord has in store for you. Just trust in him and have faith, do all the right things that your parents taught you, and you will be able to make the right decisions!! Love you!
thanks guys :) the crisis has abated for now... i think it's becoming a semestral occasion. i'm sure i'll figure it out somehow, someday. i'm thinking about econ more and more... either way, though, Will and i will be in a lot of the same classes, since i've got to take a bunch of econ ones for IR anyway! i'm even a little ahead of him, hehe :) tell him, anna, if he takes 380 next semester i've got his back. (in theory... we'll see how this next test goes!)
Maddy! I'm glad that you decided on a major at least :) Whatever you decide to do you'll be fantastic! You're an extremely intelligent girl and I know that whatever you do you will succeed in a magnificent way.